What is voluntourism?
Voluntourism is experiencing somewhere new while you volunteer at the destination. You could be helping out at a school, an orphanage, helping to build structures or even helping wildlife at a sanctuary. It is a great way to see a new place from the perspective of a local and will allow you to meet many new friends!
The good things:
- Positively contributing to an organisation or location
- Meeting new people
- Life/ career experience
- Living like a local, not a tourist
- You have more time at the location than you would have if you were visiting
Things to ask yourself before you volunteer:
- Am I actually going to make a positive contribution to the community or environment?
- What are the ethics or morals of the place I wish to volunteer in?
- Will they be exploiting me or my values?
- What is the cost of working here?
- Is it a big business or a small organisation? Which would I rather contribute to?